Want to work with the most important technology in banking? This could be the opportunity for you.
WHY CHOOSE A CAREER AS A MANIFRAME ENGINEER?
Mainframe Engineers are highly sought after by the top investment banks, making it a massive area of opportunity for graduates who are starting their careers.
Mainframes are the backbone of many large organizations and are foundational to the running of their core operations. They’ve been described by the New York Times as ‘the back-office engines behind the world’s financial markets and much of global commerce’.
Mainframes are especially important for the banking industry, which needs extensive data crunching and security.
When you work in this field, you’ll develop a transferable skill set. Not only will this mean you’re in demand – it could help you pivot to other career opportunities in computing and programming too.
WHAT ARE MAINFRAMES?
"At their core, mainframes are highperformance computers with large amounts of memory and processors that process billions of simple calculations and transactions in real time. The mainframe is critical to commercial databases, transaction servers, and applications that require high resiliency, security, and agility." - IBM
WHAT YOUR ROLE WILL INVOLVE:
Reviewing, analysing, and modifying programming systems.
Coding, testing, debugging, and installing programming systems for large computer systems within the organization.
Maintaining and developing online and batch application programs.
Developing disaster recovery plans.
Did you know? As of 2019, 96 of the world’s largest 100 banks, nine out of 10 of the world’s largest insurance companies, and 23 of the 25 largest retailers in the US continue to use mainframes.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Complete our three-step assessment process
Join our Alumni graduate program and get trained at our virtual Academy
We hire you as an employee and then work to place you with one of our clients for a fixed term
At the end of the program, 90% of graduates convert to permanent employees with the client
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN AT MTHREE’S VIRTUAL ACADEMY:
Multiple Virtual Storage (MVS), Time Sharing Option (TSO) And Interactive System Productivity Facility (ISPF)
- Operating System Concept
- Interaction with Mainframe
- TSO commands
Adaptable Database Systems (ADABAS)
- ADABAS in today’s IT environments
- ADABAS concepts and components
- ADABAS file definition, data description and design
- Access logic for read and update functions
- Database modification and transaction logic
- Comparison of relational versus ADABAS terminology
- Introduction to COBOL
- Features of COBOL & Areas of Application
- Structure of COBOL Programs
- Coding format for COBOL Programs
- COBOL Character Set
- COBOL Words
- Introduction to Divisions in COBOL
- Conditional Statement
- PERFORM Statement
- File Handling
- Sub Programs
Job Control Language (JCL)
- Introduction to JCL JES Job Exec DD
- JCL flow Procedures GDG
- Coding Format Utilities
- JCL Statements
- Introduction and Overview of Natural environment & language
- Data definition including complex datatypes like arrays
- Conditional and loop processing statements
- Screen I/O with and without usage of maps
- ADABAS basic concepts and all relevant Natural statements
- WorkFile and string processing
- All available modularization components
- Error processing
- Difference between Batch and Online processing
- Introduction to CICS
- CICS Concepts
- Task and Transaction Initiating CICS
- Transaction Control Programs and Control Tables
- Basic Mapping Support
- Terminal Control Commands
- Program Control Commands
- File Control Commands
WHY CHOOSE MTHREE TO LAUNCH YOUR CAREER AS A MAINFRAME ENGINEER?
- Learn from industry experts who have worked in tech for decades.
- Receive a competitive graduate salary with pre-agreed pay rises every 6 months.
- Enjoy a flexible benefits package, including gym membership.
- Get supported by your dedicated mthree Engagement Manager throughout your placement.
WHAT YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
- A degree within a STEM or Business major
- 2:1 degree/3.0 GPA or higher.
- An analytical mindset with a thirst to build a career in tech.
- A quick thinker and problem solver that operates well under demanding and high pressurized environments.
- A strong aptitude for technology with the ability to pick up new skills in a speedy fashion.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- To be considered for this role, you must be open to relocating throughout the UK. Please get in touch for more information on our program and roles.